Austin Wielansky, a senior at Brehm Preparatory School, was named 2012 Honorable Mention for the RiSE Scholarship Award.
In a letter nominating Austin for the award, his father, Craig, wrote:
“Ladies and Gentlemen I wanted to thank you for this honor that you have bestowed upon my son Austin Wielansky. From an initial diagnosis of autism at age 2 his life has been full of battles, hard work and determination. This year he will be graduating from Brehm Prepratory School where he presently has a 3.88 grade point average on a 4.0 scale and will be attending Lynn University in Boca Raton Florida.
As a parent I am very proud of my son. As an individual he motivates me . Austin never gave up against great odds. We were told he may never talk, may have trouble with fine motor skills and may need permanent assistance. Quite a staggering diagnosis at an early age. Through many hours of speech, language and physical therapy, many endless hours put in by teachers and educators and hard work and perseverance Austin has gone beyond our wildest dreams as he prepares to enter college.
Along the way he was able to play high school basketball and baseball and more importantly realized the value of helping others to become the best that they could be.
Brehm Prepratory School’s mission is to empower students with complex learning disabilities to recognize and realize their full potential.
Each of these students lives on campus in a holistic environment. Since 9th grade Austin has attended Brehm and without it he wouldn’t be where he is today. It takes a special person and student to be able to handle the rigors of a boarding school for children with complex learning disabilities. Austin is that special person.”
The RiSE Scholarship Foundation Inc. mission is to reward students with learning disabilities, who have shown determination, self advocacy and success in overcoming their difficulties and are pursuing post secondary education.
RiSE Scholarship Foundation, Inc. offers meaningful scholarships to award the success of students, to bring awareness, and education to the subject of learning disabilities.
The 5 Award Recipients will receive $2500.00 payable to the college that they attend in the fall of 2012.
- Sedona Tuss- Davis, California – Davis Senior High School
- Chandler Cook- Tyler, Texas- Chapel Hill High School
- Cole Little- Abbott, Texas- Abbott School
- Charlie Robertson- Atlanta, Georgia – Holy Innocents Episcopal School
- Leah Gilbertsen- Camp Lake, Wisconsin- Wilmot Union High School
2012 Honorable Mentions:
- Jimmy Draper – Long Beach, Ca.-Woodrow Wilson High School
- Victoria Dorrian -Arlington, Va.-The Lab School ( D.C.)
- Roland Castellanos III – Marietta, Ga.-Mount Paran Christian School
- Anthony Georgetti – Milford, CT.-Joseph A. Foran High School
- Katie Stone -Flagstaff, Az. -Primeravera Online
- Joseph Anthony -Yardley, Pa. -The Hun School of Princeton
- Colin Hollow -Butte, Mt.-Butte Central High School
- Austin Wielansky -St. Louis, Mo. -Brehm Prep School
- Claudia Miles – Atlanta, Ga.. -Ben Franklin Academy
- Julia Philips – Oakland, Ca.-Bayhill High School
http://blog.brehm.org/2012/04/13/brehm-alum-named-rise-scholarship-honorable-mention/ visit this blog for more information.